Bodmin (N)

Owner: Ray Slack

Layout Size (including operating space):     11ft x 5ft 6in.

Back Story

Originally the line was used for the carriage of china clay from Wenford Bridge Branch reversing at Bodmin and onto the docks at Fowey via the main line junction at Bodmin Road. This, together with some 18 passenger workings daily and local pickup goods means that it was a busy station as all traffic from the main line to Wenford Bridge and beyond had to reverse direction at Bodmin. Also the clay trains, due to the gradients, were split for movements between Bodmin and the clay works 

We have attempted to represent these workings along with the quite intensive passenger traffic that took place in the 1930’s although we are using a larger variety of motive power than was originally used.

There has been some compression in the station area and much more between the bridges. The layout is constructed using 6mm ply and 20mm softwood box beams with an insulation board top surface. The legs and struts are made from aluminum box and flat sections riveted together and permanently hinged for quick assembly. Trackwork is all Peco finescale but with the crossovers shortened to bring the tracks nearer to a scale 6ft way and all frogs extended to prevent wheels dropping in the gaps and thus give smoother running. All points are powered by SEEP point motors and the layout is split into various sections operable by either of 2 hand held controllers. Uncoupling is achieved by using DG couplings actuated by electromagnets under the track. Signals are operated by relays. Some of the stock is permanently coupled with 3 link couplings.

Bodmin Station still exists as part of a preserved line although only the station building (slightly modified) and platform remain whilst the signal box has been rebuilt, ostensibly to the original drawings.